“We like our version extra chunky, so we only puree about a third of the broccoli mixture in step 3. For a thinner, smoother consistency, add more soup to the blender.”
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Total meal cook/prep time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock, divided
- ½ cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup 1% lowfat milk
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ¼ pounds broccoli florets, coarsely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided (about 1 1/4 cups)
- Combine 2 cups stock and rice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Place rice mixture and milk in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add broccoli and salt; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 2 cups stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or just until broccoli is tender. Add rice mixture; simmer 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place 2 cups soup in blender; process until smooth. Return pureed soup to pan. Add pepper and 4 ounces cheese; stir until cheese melts. Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 ounce cheese.
Totals per serving:
Sidney Fry, MS, RD, Cooking Light