“Use this cheese pizza recipe as a template, and vary the cheeses and vegetables to make your own creations. Allow the pizza to stand five minutes before slicing to allow any liquid on top time to be reabsorbed into the toppings so the crust won't get soggy.”
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 slice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 (1-pound) Italian cheese-flavored pizza crust (such as Boboli)
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup sliced bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 4 drained canned artichoke hearts, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add black pepper, minced garlic, and mushrooms; sauté for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and most of liquid evaporates.
- Spread sauce over the pizza crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border, and top with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella, fontina, and Parmesan cheeses. Top with roasted red bell peppers, 1 tablespoon capers, and artichokes. Bake at 500° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown. Let pizza stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Totals per serving:
Martha Rose Shulman, Cooking Light